Our first in-person meeting in more than a year was a welcome change to Zoom! Here’s a look at what happened:
Announcements & Upcoming Events
- Summer Club Mod: We’ll take a break for July, and then you’re invited to join the Friday night sew party at Club Mod, August 13, 7-9 p.m. on Zoom. Sew on your projects, chair dance at your machine, and maybe win a prize!
- July 24 Summer Quilting Day Camp: Fewer than 10 spots remain open for our all-day Quilting Camp. We’ll start with morning treats (first things first!) and then a few fun activities throughout the day and lots of raffle prizes. Plus, an impressive collection of quilting swag for each registrant, and a few surprises. Lunch included, and feel free to bring something for the snack table. Sign up by filling out this form.
- Sisters of the Hex: We’ll sew hexi blocks together at the July 24 day camp to make two quilts. A few folks will plan to dedicate their time to sewing on this project and you’re invited to help out as the quilt tops take shape.
- Get ‘Er Done: Our first project is complete (a big THANK YOU to Millissa, Cathy R., Gwen and Darla for working on this quilt). More scraps and orphan blocks were shared at the meeting, so stay tuned for more ways to participate in our effort to get quilts from start to finish before giving them to community organizations. So, if you’re only interested in making quilt tops, this is the place to let others know, and they can take it to the next step or to the finish. Check out this list on our website for local organizations you can donate them to.
- MQG Challenges: If you’re up for a July project to benefit a good cause, check out this MQG Make-a-Difference challenge. The theme is TREES, the submission deadline is July 21, and quilt entry fees will benefit Trees for the Future, whose mission is to end hunger and poverty by training farmers to regenerate their land. Are you interested in organizing this (or future efforts) for BMQG to participate in a national MQG challenge? Let us know! send a note to email@example.com . Here are a few other challenges you might want to check out:
- QuiltCon2022: Presented by The Modern Quilt Guild, QuiltCon is the largest modern quilting show of its kind. Each year, thousands of attendees come to see hundreds of modern quilts on display, including a juried quilt show with entries from MQG members around the world. The five-day event includes live lectures, panels, tours, workshops, and a vendor hall filled with the latest and greatest tools and supplies, and social events. The QuiltCon catalog is out now, and registration opens Aug. 4.
Show and tell
Possibly the favorite part of our meeting….? Here’s a sampling of what we shared:
- Lynne showed her Gees Bend quilts, both from kits
- Elizabeth brought a Halloween-themed quilt and another from a Quilt Crossing kit
- Delanie might be new to quilting but she knocked it out of the ballpark with a modern take on a t-shirt quilt
- Kathy showed gingham quilts pieced from an assortment of fabric types, all provided by a friend
- Linda made the Ray Quilt, an oversized log cabin with big stitch handwork as part of a Quilt-Along with Carolyn Friedlander; and finished a small quilt in neutrals and earth colors
Hope you see you at Quilting Day Camp on July 24!