When: Saturday, May 27 10:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.
Where: Bown Library in east Boise, 2153 E. Riverwalk Dr.
- We’ll start with a short presentation from Susan Elcox of the Treasure Valley Rug Hookers. She’ll bring some rugs and tools, and give a preview of a July travelling show of more than 100 hooked rugs, all with a fairy tale theme.
- The rest of the meeting is open sew! Bring your projects, machines, tools and say hello.
- Also, it’s last chance to help yourself to free exchange fabrics, books and patterns before they all find new homes. Some donated fabric was recently sorted, and you might want to snag some of the Debbie Mumm collections, or a large chunk of Kaffe Fassett watermelon print, or antique Sun Bonnet Sue squares from a cutter quilt.
- Bring your Modern Quilt Bee blocks and leader/ender blocks (don’t worry if these don’t measure 6.5“ exactly, they’ll all work together).
- If you’re working on your face collage, here are some tips for finishing:
- Once all the pieces are where you want them, glue everything down, simply using a glue stick.
- Add batting and a backing and then quilt it, using either your domestic machine or a long arm.
- Then, you can use free motion quilting to outline the face, neck, hair, eyes, nose, lips, etc. and anything else that might need outlining. You can use thicker black thread, or any other dark thread you like to create the outline.
- Sew an outline of the face at least two or three times; and just once around the hair, eyes, nose, etc. unless you prefer the outline thicker on these elements. Make it however you like! And don’t worry about making the lines perfect — you can be a little loose on the outlining and get really charming results.
- Bind it and it’s finished! We look forward to seeing your finished face collage at the July meeting.
Thanks to everyone who responded to our survey about a 2024 workshop. Stay tuned for information.
Hope to see you on Saturday!
P.S. Mark your calendars for Quilt Camp, Aug. 17-20 at Luther Heights. Watch for registration information in coming weeks.