Spring has arrived and we’re giddy about the sun, and what’s ahead for the BMQG. Our March meeting was full of information and updates. Here’s a recap of what happened:
- April 9 Club Mod: Join us for the launch party of Friday night sewing at Club Mod, April 9, 7-9 p.m. on Zoom. Then, pencil in the second Friday night of the month for upcoming Club Mod sewing parties. Sew on your projects, chair dance at your machine, and maybe win a prize!
- April 24 Meeting & Guest Artist: Next month we’ll hear from artist Rebecca Klundt, who creates quilt-like work with reclaimed wood. We’ll meet again on Zoom; plan for an abbreviated show and tell so that we have plenty of time for Q&A with Rebecca.
- May 22 In-person Meeting: We’re planning on meeting outdoors and in person beginning in May. Plan on wearing a mask and social distancing, and watch for more info on locations, including availability of tables, electricity or covered pavilions.
We have a couple more fun events planned for this year that are still in the early stages. Be sure to join our guild so you can participate in our upcoming activities and be the first to know about them!
Modern Moment: Use of Bold Colors and Prints
- Have you ever wondered if your quilt was “modern” or “modern enough”? Well, you’re not alone. To help demystify the topic, we’re taking a few moments at each meeting to talk about characteristics that help define modern quilting. This week we looked at quilts that use bold colors and prints. Watch for more on this topic soon!
- Get ‘Er Done: We’re keen to share our quilting with others in need, while helping members finish projects. At future meetings, we’ll take time for Get ‘Er Done Projects — a virtual or actual table to facilitate quilts going from start to finish. So, if you’re only interested in making quilt tops, this is the place to let others know, and they can take it to the next step or to the finish. From there, we’ll provide a list of organizations on our website that can use the quilts.
- Sisters of the Hex: You’re invited to help sew hexies that will become a memorial project for past member Denise Arellano. Find out more here.
Show and Tell
We had some great shares this month for our Show and Tell portion of the meeting. Here are some of the patterns and resources mentioned that you might find helpful.
- Fancy Fox pattern by Elizabeth Hartman is a popular pattern that Marilyn loves!
- Lots of discussion Karen’s use of Tula Pink’s banana fabric!
- Using the Quick Curve Ruler to make curved blocks like Millissa used in her table runners.
- Lindsie used this method for using liquid Rit dye to improve some backing fabric.
- Faye used the no-waste flying geese method on our beloved Birch fabric (let us know if you want more of it! We’ve still got plenty to share)
- Darla shared her temperature quilt progress. There’s still time to start one if you want to enter it into the 2022 QuiltCon Special Exhibit of Temperature Quilts.
- Debra shared her fabric plan for her version of the Mod Mountains pattern by Suzy Williams of Suzy Quilts.
- Carol used this tutorial by Debora Exum of Studio Dragonfly for making her Shadow Block Quilt.