When: January 27, 2018 | 1-3 p.m.
Where: Boise Public Library, 715 S. Capitol Blvd., Boise, ID (Marion Bingham Room on 3rd floor)
Mark your calendars! The Boise Modern Quilt Guild will be hosting our annual After-Holiday Party on January 27, from 1-3 p.m. Saturday’s festivities will include treats, door prizes and our zipper pouch swap!
Please bring a treat to share with the group.
Zipper Pouch Swap
We are excited to see what kind of pouches everyone has made for their swap partner! If you are participating in the swap, please bring your completed, wrapped zipper pouch on Saturday to exchange.
Sew and Share
If you were lucky enough to receive a handmade sewn or quilted gift this holiday season, or have a completed modern project, please bring it on Saturday.
See you soon!
When: December 2, 2017, 1-4 p.m.
Where: Boise Public Library, 715 S Capitol Blvd, Boise, ID (Marion Bingham Room on 3rd floor)
Yes, it is that time of year again! Since we are a non-profit we are required to hold an annual meeting to take care of a few quick – but important – items of business. We promise to make the business part go quick! Below is an outline of the meeting as well as some other announcements.
A few changes for your calendar:
We are combining our November and December meetings. Instead of meeting November 25 and December 23, we will meet December 2. Our annual after-holiday party will be January 27 at our regularly scheduled sew day.
At our January after-holiday party we will exchange zipper pouches. We emailed members a form to fill out so swap partners can learn a bit more about each other’s likes and dislikes. The last day to complete the form is 12/2/17 and we will let you know who your swap partner is a day or two after that. Zip pouches will be exchanged at our After-Holiday party on 1/27/18. Need ideas for making a zip pouch? Visit our Zip Pouches Pinterest board.
December 2nd meeting
- Dues: If you are interested in being a member of the Boise Modern Quilt Guild in 2018, we’ll be processing memberships. If you’d like to take care of your membership beforehand, or if you can’t make it to the meeting, please go to the Boise Modern Quilt Guild Membership page and use the PayPal option to pay your $20 dues online. Or you may mail your $20 dues to Shelly Harshman at 1969 S Wilde Creek Way, Boise ID 83709. Checks should be made payable to Boise Modern Quilt Guild. Please have your dues in by December 2, 2017.
- Financials: We will review our financial information – where money was spent in 2017 and what we expect our expenses to be in 2018.
- Voting: We will vote on the Board of Directors. Our Board is currently comprised of: Christy Foltz-Ahlrichs, President; Angela Bowman, Vice President; Lindsie Bergevin, Secretary; Lori Wambolt, Treasurer.
- A few rules about the vote:
- At the meeting any member in good standing may nominate another person to the board with the second of another member.
- To be qualified as an elected officer, a member must be in good standing, and have been active in the Guild for at least one year (with exception for the founding officers).
- Renewing and new members are allowed to vote.
- A member does not have to be present to be on the ballot, but you must be at the meeting to vote.
- See Position Descriptions of Board Members for more information.
- Learn about some of the activities that are planned for 2018.
- As always, bring a project to work on and your modern projects to show off!
Congrats to our Monochromatic Challenge participants! They brought home 3rd place in the Small Group Challenge at the Boise Basin Quilt Show.
We had a great time at the Fabulous Fat Quarter Quilts Workshop and Trunk Show with Kenna Ogg! Everyone left with blocks started for their quilts and a better understanding of color and fabric choice.
We are going old school and headed to summer camp! Join us for a great weekend of “no-host” modern quilting, being in the mountains, and enjoying all the natural beauty Stanley has to offer.
When: July 7-9, 2017 (You are welcome to arrive anytime after 3:30 p.m. Friday, July 7, and stay through 1 p.m. Sunday, July 9)
Where: Luther Heights Bible Camp – Stanley, Idaho (Location on Google Maps)
Cost: $90 per Boise MQG member ($110 for nonmembers)
- The retreat is limited to 25 attendees. After May 6, retreat registration is open to nonmembers.
- Meals are included (breakfast, lunch and dinner).
- Our guild will be quilting in the spacious lodge/dining hall. We will bring some extension/power cords, but you may want to bring your own just in case.
- This is a “no-host” retreat, meaning that everyone must bring their own projects to work on, sewing machines and tools that are necessary. We may plan a fun sewing related activity, but more on that later.
- We will have a design wall for anyone to use.
- Cabins with bunk beds – each cabin sleeps up to twelve people.
- Each cabin has a bathroom.
- Please bring your own bedding (sleeping bag, foam pad, pillows, twin sheet, etc.), towels and toiletries, as well as any recreational gear. There will be hiking, swimming in Alturas Lake, etc. available if you want to enjoy the great outdoors.
- For a detailed packing list, refer to the Retreat Packing List.
A few things to note:
- We will be sharing the camp with a group of fly fishermen, but other than at meal times, we should be to ourselves.
- It is Luther Height Bible Camp’s regular practice to have Christian grace before all meals.
- The Boise Modern Quilt Guild will not be arranging transportation. Please feel free to make carpool arrangements amongst yourselves.
- While adult beverages are allowed, the camp asks that all “exercise great discretion and prudence in this regard.”
- You may bring your own snacks/food.
- Sorry, no pets.
If this sounds too good to miss, sign up by May 6 by filling out this form. You can choose to mail us a check or pay via PayPal.
Read more about the Luther Heights Bible Camp: http://lutherheights.org/facilities.php
- When: May 20, 2017, 10 am – 4:00 pm, 1 hour lunch
- Where: St. Stephens, 2206 N Cole Rd, Boise, ID 83704
- Cost: $55 for BMQG members, $75 for general public*
*Price includes lunch and pattern
In this workshop and trunk show, Quilt Designer Kenna Ogg of Madison Cottage Design will teach how to strategically use color selection, special rulers and fat quarter selection to create stunning quilts.
Students can choose to make one or more of the following Madison Cottage Design patterns:
- Cocoa Nibs (which uses the Creative Grids Perfect rectangle ruler)
- Cherry Cream Soda (which use the Creative Grids 60 degree triangle ruler).
Both employ fat quarters in two colors or volume levels.
Kenna will discuss selecting fat quarters, color and fabric choices, as well as hold an ongoing fat quarter swap among students (though participation is not required). Kenna will also demonstrate both Creative Grids rulers and how to use them in the quilts you make.
Included in the workshop fee is 1 of the 2 patterns and a homemade lunch! You will be responsible for bringing the Creative Grid ruler needed for the quilt you choose. You can find them at one of our local quilt shops.
20 spots are available, first come first served. Once payment is received, you will receive a confirmation email that your spot has been secured, along with a class supply list.
Please fill out this form to sign up.
When: Saturday, February 25, 2017 – 1 pm – 4 pm
Where: Boise Public Library, 715 S Capitol Blvd, Boise, ID (Marion Bingham Room on 3rd floor)
We have a special guest speaker, artist Goeff Krueger, coming to join our discussion about color, led by Lindsie Bergevin. Geoff is a professional fine artist whose work can be seen in several public collections including three pieces now on display at the Boise Art Museum’s 2017 Idaho Triennial (open Feb. 21-July 16). He paints broad sweeping landscapes and seascapes, studies of structures and found objects, all while capturing the light of the subject’s surroundings. His recent emphasis on monochromatic color makes him the perfect addition to our discussion of color theory. We’ll explore the overlap between quilting, color theory (and real-world application) and fine art. We will also be kicking off a color related quilt challenge for guild members. Don’t miss it!
We expect the presentation and discussion to last up to 2 hours, so we will not be sewing at this meeting.
As always, please bring your completed modern projects to share with the group.
Not familiar with how our meetings work? We typically follow this format:
- Quick announcements
- Show and share
- Sewing on individual projects, and of course conversation (or tutorial/presentation if one is scheduled)
We like to start the year with some snacks and a sewing swap. Sewing swap participants made a Boise-themed mini quilt according to their assigned partner’s preferences. Thanks to everyone who made it so much fun!
Christy Quilt To Shelly
Tracy Quilt To Linda
Shelly Quilt To Angela
Sally Quilt To Lindsie
Lindsie Quilt To Fay
Laura Quilt To Sally
Linda Quilt To Tracy
Holly Quilt To Carol
Fay Quilt To Laura
Carol Quilt To Holly
Apryl Quilt To Christy
Angela Quilt To Apryl
And wow, this month’s Show and Share was pretty spectacular.
Carol Quilt Back
Angela Quilt Sew
Angela Quilt Foldout
Laura Flamingo Quilt Block
Linda Nail Polish Quilt
Marilyn Quilt 1
Marilyn Quilt 2
Marilyn Quilt 3
Marilyn Quilt 4
Marilyn Quilt Back
Our first ever quilting retreat was a resounding success!
Boise MQG Retreat 2016
We enjoyed sewing in Luther Heights’ brand-new lodge, staying in the nearby cabins, and being enveloped in the beautiful scenery of central Idaho.
Martha Design Wall
Luther Heights Lodge
Just a reminder that we will not be having our normal guild meeting this month. Instead we are excited to be hosting our first ever summer retreat at Luther Heights near Stanley, Idaho. If you missed the July 1 registration deadline, we will miss you, but hope to see you at a future retreat! If you signed up, please check your email for retreat details. See you soon!